Saturday, October 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

It is that time of year again.

The weather is getting cooler. The leaves are blowing wildly around the neighborhood. Halloween is almost over, and stores have been displaying Christmas items for weeks. It is soon to be November.

The arrival of my favorite month also brings my favorite worldwide writing event... National Novel Writing Month. Also known as NaNoWriMo.

In case you have never heard of it, here is a brief run down.

Sometime around October first writers all over the world converge onto the website created by The Office of Letters and Light. They talk about novels that they have not started yet and find writing buddies. Many of them procrastinate on the website instead of planning their novels and then by the end of the month they are all freaking out because they have nothing planned and no plot whatsoever.

Then... as the clock strikes midnight on Halloween, and the calendar turns to the new month... the website goes eerily quiet. No one can be found because they are all frantically writing as many words as possible to get a head start on their word count goals for the month.

The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. You start on November 1st and the last day is November 30th. Some people write serious novels, some not so serious. But they all work hard to write as much as they can.

This will be my fifth year participating in the festivities. The last four years I have purposely written off the wall, totally ridiculous novels. My goal being to get the words out and get my writing muscles working. This year I will be writing a serious novel, one that I have been tossing around in my head for quite some time.

My goal is to get a very rough first draft done, which I expect will be over 50,000 words, and then edit the novel during December and January. Perhaps I will have something to work with, and perhaps I will end up re-writing the entire thing.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment